After N number of years I finally went to the doctor to consult about my headache. I was prescribed to take 5 tables daily for 5 days. Sadly, I was advised not to eat chocolate or drink caffeinated drinks as these may trigger headaches/migraine.
Two of the side effects of one of the tables are dizziness and some shaking. No wonder I felt like I haven’t eaten for hours because my hand was shaking a little when I eat during meals.
I’ll be back on Monday if there was no improvement and I’ll be advised to take another set of medicine. If that still doesn’t make things better then I’ll have to undergo CT scan (yikes!). My head doesn’t ache that much for the past 3 days but I think if I ever stop the medication, the headache will just come back.
Back in 2009, I have this obsession in photography. Even though I didn’t have a DSLR I read about photography, from aperture to ISO, from shutter speed to auto exposure bracketing. After some time I stopped because it’s useless to keep on learning and even if I can afford a DSLR back then, I didn’t have the luxury to travel as I wanted to shoot landscapes.
During my kids’ dance recital as part of their summer dance camp, I was shooting videos and taking photos and it dawned on me that I was not impressed. After some more thinking I decided to buy a DSLR camera and to learn photography again. I’m still reading the manual (almost done) and still about 10% through the videos of John Greengo but I think it will all be worth it.
I’m exactly 10 years in the IT industry and the working world in general. A summary of the full-time jobs I had thus far.
- 2006 – Software Engineer at NCR Cebu Development Center, Inc.
- 2007-2010 – SAP Consultant at HP Asia Pacific Ltd.
- 2010-2012 – Software Engineer at Navitaire
- 2012-2014 – Software Developer at Certiport
- 2014-2015 – .Net Developer at Geekware Pty. Ltd. (home-based)
- 2015-present – Senior Software Engineer at HR360, Inc. (home-based)
Projects I have handled so far:
- Back-office tools (eg. file comparison for version checking)
- Various customization in SAP SD
- Loyalty or frequent flier software
- Exam engine
- Gym CRM
- Web apps for HR
I’ve learned a couple of skills but there are still a couple of things that I want to acquire like the following:
- Mobile app development through Xamarin
- .Net stack architecture
- Game design and development
As a gamer, I’m more interested to learn the last one but the first one is also interesting enough due to the popular use of mobile devices.
I knew from grade school that I’ll be taking this path (IT) so it’s amazing to look back and see where I’ve been and what I have done. I’m looking forward to the next 10 years of my IT career. 🙂
April 13, 2016 (US timezone), one of the greatest days to be a basketball fan, NBA fan to be exact, as this is was the day where a couple of records were broken.
Golden State Warriors
I started watching NBA during the summer of 1996, just right before the playoffs began. Just about the right time when the Chicago Bulls set the most wins in a season with 72 at that time and for the next 20 years. Today, the Golden State Warriors has rewritten the records by getting the 73-9 season record.
Stephen Curry have set the most triples made in a season with 402, previously 286 which he set last season.
Kobe was drafted during the 1996-1997 season and he just finished his farewell game after playing for 20 years. He’s the only player to ever play for the same team for 20 years. And he truly went out the Mamba way by scoring 60pts and getting the win.
Only 3 weeks is left for the 1st quarter of 2016, it’s darn too fast.
Here’s a summary of what has transpired so far.
- Mama (my mother-in-law) turned 60! Yey! She was given a new car by my sister-in-law, which means I get to drive a new car (wohoo!). Then again I have to a couple of accessories, but buying car accessories is fun! So everything’s good. Lol!
- Attended Family Day at my kids’ school. We also got a reward as a family :). It was fun even though only a few parents attended.
- We’ll be having our 1st family trip outside of Mindanao this Q1 (woohoo!)
- Have been working 14-15 hrs a day. Yes, that much. And no, I’m not proud of it because sleeping at 12am-2am everyday is not good for the body.
- Have been working on some weekends. A trend that will continue at least for another month.
- Learned how to develop a Google Chrome Extension (yay!)
- Learned the pains of developing a Google Chrome Extension (but I think I’m through with the toughest hurdles, so yay!)
- Still have much to complain with the process on my main work, but who am I to complain with the flexible time and great pay, right? Right?
- Finally got my Diablo 3 seasonal character to reach level 70 by just playing on weekends
- Won my 1st NBA title in NBA 2k16.
- Weight still stuck at 72-74 kgs.
- Subscribed to Xamarin in the hopes that I can learn to develop mobile apps and eventually publish one of my own in the Play Store. No iOS apps for now as I don’t have a Mac needed to build an iOS app in Xamarin.
I remember my first PC with just 64MB of RAM. It was just enough to run Micorosft Word, CounterStrike, Starcraft: Brood War, Age of Empires II and a couple of encyclopedia applications like Britannica, Encarta and Grolier.
My next PC had 768MB of RAM. My first laptop had 1GB followed by a 4GB upgraded to 8GB. My curren laptop had 16GB and has now been upgraded to 32GB. I know 32GB is an overkill but it can’t be helped when SQL Server would spike the memory usage to 95% (roughly 15GB) when doing a search.
The other day while I was checking the latest specs of Asus gaming laptops, I saw one that can have a maximum of 64GB of memory. Now that’s really a super mega overkill. I can’t imagine what applications can use that much memory unless one opens 10 instances of VS 2015, 10 instances of SSMS and 50 tabs opened in Chrome all at the same time.
It’s when I’m exhausted that I get to express my thoughts more and that’s why I’m writing this now while I still have some energy.
20 years. It’s been that long since I lost my father. I don’t cry anymore when I remember him. I just reminisce with a smile all the few good times that we had. I really didn’t get to know him that much. We didn’t get along so well either, but I know that he’s a good man. A goofy yet strict person but absolutely a man with a good heart as all his siblings and relatives told me.
Too bad I’m as strict as he is as a father and I hate it. I hate being so strict with my kids though I’m trying to control it so hopefully I can work things out in that aspect. How I wish he could have given me a sibling or two, but it doesn’t matter anymore now because I have my family to attend to. It’s funny because my kids haven’t noticed that I don’t have any brother or sister. Hmmmm. I guess I can ask them later about it.
Dad, I know how much you love your apos so please watch over them especially when they’re at school. I know you’re proud of them as much as I do.
Sorry if I wasn’t affectionate to you. You probably know that I don’t show much affection to people in person except to my wife. You do know that I care and love you as much.
Sorry if I work too much. Someday I’ll be reducing my work hours but for now and the next couple of years it’ll have to be this much. Please help my body especially my brain endure it. I just need a couple of years. I don’t want to join you there yet, okay? I want to beat your age as well as Papa Boy’s. You must be really so good that God wanted you so badly in heaven that soon.
I miss you Dad and I love you.
PS. Please help me drive safely.