It’s been quite a while since I last posted and a few things have happened already since May.
Dev Team Lead
First off, I’m now the Dev Team Lead of the company (home-based) that I’m working for. It’s only a temporary position for 3 months. I’m not sure if my boss would want it to be a permanent one but if he does I’ll definitely ask for an increase. It feels like having a part-time job as the stress levels are actually similar.
And because of stress, I’m always looking forward to weekends because I get to play with my kids on PS4. We’re so hooked up with the local multiplayer game mode of Call of Duty Black Ops 3 and Magicka 2. It reminds me of my childhood years when I was playing SNES/PS1 video games but usually alone.
Lectors, Psalmists and Commentators Guild
I’m now regularly assigned as a commentator in our parish every time our group is the assigned group. I still prefer being a lector as I find it easier and less stressful. 🙂
One of the benefits of working from home, to be more precised, of having a home-based job that doesn’t have a fixed work schedule or at least the bulk of the work schedule is at night is that I can find some free time in the morning. My mornings are usually free unless I need to do a deployment to production or if it’s Thursday (I play basketball in the evening so need to work as much during the day) and so I can do errands, which usually deal with driving for my wife if she needs to buy things for the kids or to just do grocery. And if there’s nothing to buy we can just eat snack in our favorite cafe or restaurants. It’s like having a date everyday.
Another benefit with my schedule is that I can now adjust the pace of my work to my own liking. Unlike before when I still have a part-time work, I can now take short breaks. Gone are the days where I just face my monitors for 5-6 hours straight without leaving my desk. It’s such a big help especially in lightening up my brain’s load.
Since I now have more free time, I can now also play with my godson, who’s my wife’s nephew who lives across the house. It feels so good to play with a 1-year old, totally refreshing. Too bad he doesn’t have kids to play with as his siblings and my children are in school during the day.
There are other benefits with my work setup but I think these things are the ones that I love the most.
With my recent headache bouts, I have decided that I will stop working on a part-time job. Surprisingly, it’s the part-time job that I’m going full-time with and leaving the current full-time one because I feel less stressful with the latter. I also don’t like being micro-managed by getting asked about my work almost every hour every time I work.
I can now finally start doing other things like the following:
- Learn Unity game development (focusing on mobile games)
- Finish the video workshops on photography by John Greengo
- Start writing about a couple of stories that I thought of before
- Talk and play more with the kids
- Help them in their studies (though my wife and their tutors are already more than enough)
After N number of years I finally went to the doctor to consult about my headache. I was prescribed to take 5 tables daily for 5 days. Sadly, I was advised not to eat chocolate or drink caffeinated drinks as these may trigger headaches/migraine.
Two of the side effects of one of the tables are dizziness and some shaking. No wonder I felt like I haven’t eaten for hours because my hand was shaking a little when I eat during meals.
I’ll be back on Monday if there was no improvement and I’ll be advised to take another set of medicine. If that still doesn’t make things better then I’ll have to undergo CT scan (yikes!). My head doesn’t ache that much for the past 3 days but I think if I ever stop the medication, the headache will just come back.
I’m exactly 10 years in the IT industry and the working world in general. A summary of the full-time jobs I had thus far.
- 2006 – Software Engineer at NCR Cebu Development Center, Inc.
- 2007-2010 – SAP Consultant at HP Asia Pacific Ltd.
- 2010-2012 – Software Engineer at Navitaire
- 2012-2014 – Software Developer at Certiport
- 2014-2015 – .Net Developer at Geekware Pty. Ltd. (home-based)
- 2015-present – Senior Software Engineer at HR360, Inc. (home-based)
Projects I have handled so far:
- Back-office tools (eg. file comparison for version checking)
- Various customization in SAP SD
- Loyalty or frequent flier software
- Exam engine
- Gym CRM
- Web apps for HR
I’ve learned a couple of skills but there are still a couple of things that I want to acquire like the following:
- Mobile app development through Xamarin
- .Net stack architecture
- Game design and development
As a gamer, I’m more interested to learn the last one but the first one is also interesting enough due to the popular use of mobile devices.
I knew from grade school that I’ll be taking this path (IT) so it’s amazing to look back and see where I’ve been and what I have done. I’m looking forward to the next 10 years of my IT career. 🙂
April 13, 2016 (US timezone), one of the greatest days to be a basketball fan, NBA fan to be exact, as this is was the day where a couple of records were broken.
Golden State Warriors
I started watching NBA during the summer of 1996, just right before the playoffs began. Just about the right time when the Chicago Bulls set the most wins in a season with 72 at that time and for the next 20 years. Today, the Golden State Warriors has rewritten the records by getting the 73-9 season record.
Stephen Curry have set the most triples made in a season with 402, previously 286 which he set last season.
Kobe was drafted during the 1996-1997 season and he just finished his farewell game after playing for 20 years. He’s the only player to ever play for the same team for 20 years. And he truly went out the Mamba way by scoring 60pts and getting the win.
Only 3 weeks is left for the 1st quarter of 2016, it’s darn too fast.
Here’s a summary of what has transpired so far.
- Mama (my mother-in-law) turned 60! Yey! She was given a new car by my sister-in-law, which means I get to drive a new car (wohoo!). Then again I have to a couple of accessories, but buying car accessories is fun! So everything’s good. Lol!
- Attended Family Day at my kids’ school. We also got a reward as a family :). It was fun even though only a few parents attended.
- We’ll be having our 1st family trip outside of Mindanao this Q1 (woohoo!)
- Have been working 14-15 hrs a day. Yes, that much. And no, I’m not proud of it because sleeping at 12am-2am everyday is not good for the body.
- Have been working on some weekends. A trend that will continue at least for another month.
- Learned how to develop a Google Chrome Extension (yay!)
- Learned the pains of developing a Google Chrome Extension (but I think I’m through with the toughest hurdles, so yay!)
- Still have much to complain with the process on my main work, but who am I to complain with the flexible time and great pay, right? Right?
- Finally got my Diablo 3 seasonal character to reach level 70 by just playing on weekends
- Won my 1st NBA title in NBA 2k16.
- Weight still stuck at 72-74 kgs.
- Subscribed to Xamarin in the hopes that I can learn to develop mobile apps and eventually publish one of my own in the Play Store. No iOS apps for now as I don’t have a Mac needed to build an iOS app in Xamarin.